Random Outlaw

A blog about the randomness of life... and I am an outlaw.

Tuesday, March 22

Happy New Year, Iranian Style

We rang in the new year a couple of days ago. I must say that the actual event wasn't much to talk about, but the days after were OK. Apparently the thing to do during Nowrooz (Farsi for new day) is to visit family.

The day after Nowrooz, we went to BIL #3's house for lunch. I did not dress for the occasion because nobody told me that we were going anywhere. R's nephew had taken the Moosh and I to the park to get some fresh air, and when we left, nephew told me that we were going to lunch. I was wearing a ratty old t-shirt and jeans. BIL #3 answered the door in a three piece suit. Oy. Most of the people were dressed to the nines (but not all). I felt out of place. They had beef kebab for lunch, so I just had rice. They were upset. I told them to get over it. After lunch I put the terribly tired Moosh down for a nap, but he really couldn't sleep because of the noise. He tossed and turned and fussed, and it just got louder and louder. Finally he woke up fully after about an hour and a half and just started screaming. So I took him out into the family room, where the kids started LAUGHING because he was crying. And I lost it. I hadn't slept much in the preceding days, either. I yelled at them and asked if they thought it was funny that we weren't getting any sleep. They were reasonably cowed but I was in a really, really bad mood.

The family had the good grace to leave me alone for a while, and then they were back in full force, wanting me to go visit my SIL's cousin and his American wife. Naturally, I wasn't in the mood to visit anyone, American or not. They insisted, I declined, and then they just decided to ignore me and pretend like we were going anyway. I was too tired to argue any more, so we went. I ended up just bitching the entire time we were there. The cousin and his wife were very nice, they wanted us to stay with them for a couple of days, but I didn't think it was such a good idea. I pointed out that we were having enough trouble sleeping, and I didn't want to try and change beds again. BIL #3 finally took us home and the Moosh fell asleep without eating dinner and slept fitfully for about 11 hours. He kept me awake, trying to make sure he was sleeping. Oh, well. I did get some sleep.

The next day the Moosh woke up hoarse and coughing. His nose has been running like a faucet since before we got here. I was afraid it had moved into his chest and caused an infection, so we took him to the children's clinic close by. He is fine, his chest and ears are clear and he's not running a fever. The doctor went ahead and prescribed some amoxicillin because his nose has been running for more than 10 days. I am usually very much against using antibiotics because of resistance, but I am so afraid that he will get an infection before we leave and delay our return, I am willing to do just about anything.

When we got home, SIL #1's family came over for lunch. I now consider her totally awesome because she had the foresight to make chicken kebabs and I ate about twenty. SIL #'s neices and nephews have young children, so the Moosh had someone to play with for a while. He was very happy. I put the baby down for a nap (and fell asleep for a while). When I woke up SIL #1's other brother was there with his family, and he had a bunch of daughters around my age. We hit it off, and they invited me to their house. We're probably going to go over there tomorrow.

By the time they left it was five o'clock and the Moosh was exhausted again. He cried and cried. I managed to keep him up until 7:30, but then I relented and put him to bed. I had chicken kebab and rice again for dinner, and then I went to bed myself, because I knew the kid would be up at the crack of dawn. He was.

So things are looking up. As Summer pointed out in her comment, this trip is going to mean a lot to the Moosh as he gets older. It will help him understand his father and his culture. That is certainly true, and it is exactly why I am doing this. Things are looking up. I know it will be worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home