Random Outlaw

A blog about the randomness of life... and I am an outlaw.

Friday, February 25

Recipe

Here is my slightly bastardized recipe for Gormeh Sabzi. Here is a link to the actual recipe. I have eaten this in Iran and my sister-in-law did not make it with potatoes. Also, fresh fenugreek is impossible to find here. I cheat a little and use dehydrated vegetables that are available in stores that sell Persian food. You can use either fresh or dried veggies. Dried veggies need to be rehydrated before use. Fresh veggies have to be very finely chopped. I use a food processor.

I used to hate rice. Then I learned to cook it the right way. Get long grain basmati rice. No other rice will do. I spit on other kinds of rice.

Gormeh Sabzi

1 lb stew meat, cut into small chunks
3/4 cup kidney beans, soaked
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup lemon or lime juice

A good quantity of each of the following, finely chopped:
spinach
green onions
parsley
chives

or use the prepackaged dehydrated veggies, if you can find them.

Directions:
Fry onions in oil until golden. Add meat and cook until it turns whitish. Add beans, salt and pepper, and some water and cook for about an hour and a half.

In a separate frying pan, fry prepared vegetables in oil until wilted. Add vegetables and lemon juice to meat mixture. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Serve with rice.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I've found a search engine with a sense of humor - I was actually looking for articles on how to cook lobster, and here I am on a site called Recipe. There's probably an electronic explanation for this and I have enjoyed the experience, so no harm done. Have a nice day Lisa C. - if that's your real name :0)

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Lisa C.
    And G'day from Downunder. I was hunting around the web for stuff on how to cook lobster when I came across Recipe. It's just amazing what these searches turn up. I'm not sure I'm finding what I need, but I'm having a lot of fun. Have a great day!

     
  • At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lisa C.
    I never realised that so many different types of blog would show up if I did a search on something like how to cook chicken. I'm still not sure how well Recipe fits into that category, but I've enjoyed visiting :0) Adios Amigo.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think I've found a search engine with a sense of humor - I was actually looking for articles on how to cook lobster, and here I am on a site called Recipe. There's probably an electronic explanation for this and I have enjoyed the experience, so no harm done. Have a nice day Lisa C. - if that's your real name :0)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home