Random Outlaw

A blog about the randomness of life... and I am an outlaw.

Wednesday, February 23

Iran FAQ

I don't think that I've mentioned this before, but my husband is from Iran, and the Moosh and I are citizens, too. Guess what? I've actually been there. You know what else? I'm going again, this time sans husband, in about two weeks.

Ever since I went to Iran last year, people have asked me several questions about the trip. So now, without further adieu, here is my:

Iran FAQ

1. Were you freaked out before you went?

I must admit that I was slightly nervous because of all the crap propaganda we are exposed to here in the good old US of A.

2. Were those fears founded in real, actual fact?

Nope.

3. Did you have to wear those weird clothes?

Yes. Before I went a friend here hooked me up with a coat, called a manteau, that I wore over my clothes when we went out in public. She also loaned me a scarf. After my arrival, I borrowed a few from my sisters-in-law, and then I bought my own set.

4. Did it bother you?

Kinda. Especially when I as feeling stressed, and I didn't want to be a "good guest" anymore. Overall it didn't bother me too much.

5. So, you have to wear those clothes all the time, right?

Not in the house (or other people's houses). R's family were really respectful of my beliefs. I wore regular clothes and pajamas around the house. I am not a controversial dresser, however. Jeans and t-shirts for me.

6. So, everyone over there is really religious, right?

Nope. R's mother and the sisters-in-law prayed every day, but I never saw the men pray. Most of the young people are kind of reform Muslim. Very liberal.

7. Don't they just hate Americans?

I always introduced myself as American and everyone was very nice. No one told me flat out that he or she hated Americans. Some people mentioned that they didn't like Bush, but I don't like him either, and I'm American. To each his own, I suppose.

8. Isn't Iran just a big desert?

Hardly. In the northern part of the country, there are alpine mountains with ski slopes. R's family lives in and around the capital of Tehran. There is a desert in the southern part of the country. This is where the recent earthquake occured. Iran is famous for it's beautiful parks and gardens. It is a beautiful place.

9. Do they have electricity there?

Someone at work actually asked me this. My answer? Yes, dumbass. They have flat-screen TVs, wireless phones, and computers, too.

10. Will you go back?

Yes. In fact, we are going again in just a couple of weeks to celebrate the Iranian New Year.

11. Their new year is in March?

The Iranian New Year starts on the first day of spring. This year it falls on March 20.

12. Don't you care that Iran is part of the Axis of Evil and that they may be developing nuclear weapons?

No.

I hope that clears up some stuff for all of you. Now I have to go and buy copious amounts of toys to entertain my son on the trip. Actually the only thing I am worried about is making the trip by myself with a 21-month-old. Now that's scary.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home