Random Outlaw

A blog about the randomness of life... and I am an outlaw.

Tuesday, February 22

My Mom Calls It the Underworld

My mom calls hell "the underworld" because she thinks that hell is a bad word. She's an English teacher so I usually employ the "parts of speech" defense for hell. You see, if you use "hell" as a noun, e.g. "Go to hell," it's not a bad word because it's the name of a place. However, if you use "hell" as an adjective, e.g. "Oh, the hell with it!" that's a swear. Mom doesn't buy it, but it makes perfect sense to me.

That was my roundabout introduction into yesterday, the day from hell. (NOT a swear. See above.) I had to send out the registration forms for the gas tanks at the store. These forms should have gone out a month ago, but the contractor neglected to give them to us until last week. Timecrunch much?

I finally finished entering the data on these forms (they were the fillable Adobe Acrobat PDF forms) and tried to print them. It printed the main parts of the form, but not the answers that it took me two hours to find. Instead of text, it just printed little boxes. So I printed it again. And again. No luck. I called my husband and told him that I was buying a new printer because the one we have is a piece of shit. About that time my mom came over to spend time with me and the baby, so we all went out and I dropped about $100 on a new printer. By the time we got home, it was getting late, and I was running out of time to get the form done and sent out before I had to go to work. My mom took the baby for a drive to get him down for his nap and I set up the printer. All went well until I had to install the software for the printer, which stated that it would take 35 minutes. Oops. I had to go to work before the thing would finish installing.

I realized that I could just get my sister to print and send the form after the printer finished setting up. As soon as she got to the house, I asked her if she would be willing to do this for me, and she agreed. I was relieved because I'd promised my husband that I'd get the form out that day. I went to work.

Apparently when I left my house and drove to work I descended from the 7th level of hell, where computer equipment torments you forever, to the 6th level of hell, where your loving co-workers decide to stick you on California when it's raining for all eternity. From the time I sat down at my terminal I was inundated with phone calls for 4 hours straight. Tip: it should NEVER rain in southern California. When it does, all telephone service ceases. I took one personal call during that four hours: when my sister called to tell me that she'd had to reboot the computer, thereby losing all of the information on the form. There was no way that form was going out that day.

When I got home from work, I typed up the form again tried to print it on the new printer. I still got the damn boxes instead of text. At that point, I realized that it was more likely a problem with my computer than my printer. After spending $100. I tried to fix the computer, but it was late and I was tired.

The upshot of all of this is that I didn't get the form sent out. Of course I told my husband that it went out. What else could I do? I just spent $100.

Argh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home