Random Outlaw

A blog about the randomness of life... and I am an outlaw.

Monday, April 4

Some People

Lisa:[on the phone with a vendor at work, wrapping up] So, are we good?

Vendor: Yes. I'm just going to close your case now.

Lisa: No, man, don't close it. Put it on hold until tomorrow, OK?

Vendor: What?

Lisa: Just put it on ho--

Vendor:[interrupting] What did you call me? My name is not MAN. My name is DEREK. I introduced myself at the beginning of our conversation.

Lisa's Inner Bitch: OK, psycho.

Lisa: Sorry. I talk to so many people in a day, it's hard to remember everyone's name.

DEREK: You don't just call people MAN. I introduced myself. My name is DEREK. You should address people by their names. It's just common courtesy.

Lisa: Yeah, as I said, I'm sorry, DEREK. So are you going to hold my case or what?

DEREK: It's just common courtesy. You don't call people MAN.....

Lisa: [hangs up]

Lisa's Inner Bitch: Talk crazy shit to the dial tone, MAN.

Seriously. You can't make this shit up. I have been working with people, primarily on the phone, for four years. I call everyone "man" or "guy" or "ma'am" or "sir." All around me I also hear people using "buddy" and "brother." I talk to at least 75 to 100 individuals every day. I simply cannot remember everyone's name. I think that it is far worse to call people by the wrong name, which happens to me all the time. It's embarrassing. I'd much rather be called "ma'am" than Linda or Libby. I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. C'est la vie.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger DLAK said…

    Calling him "Man" is better then calling him piece of shit asshole petty little creap. Isnt it?

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger Sapphire Soul said…

    Some folks need to relax! lol

    My husband quoted a guy a price on a drum of oil over the phone, and the guy said the price was too high, and that my husband was a racist for charging him that much.

    My husband was floored - he'd never talked to the guy before, he had no assumptions about the guy's race, ethnicity, whatever....the price for a single drum was the same no matter what, etc.

    It amazes me what will set someone off these days - I think some of them lie awake at night thinking of ways to mess with other people!

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger JD Hoffman said…

    Man, that's funny!

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Helen said…

    Our calls are taped and reviewed where I work so I write peoples names down so I don't do this but if I could, man oh man, would I!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home